I’m so excited today to share my very first hair tutorial as a part of my Fall Beauty Series. I’ve partnered with Drybar to bring you an easy how-to for one of this seasons hottest trends, exposed bobby pins. I’ve actually been doing this since as far back as high school with my weapon of choice, gold toned bobby pins. Needless to say, I’m a big fan.
1. Part hair to side and apply a heat protectant. I used Hot Toddy, which is a lightweight heat and UV protectant.
2. Curl one inch sections of hair away from your face and allow to cool. For loose, tousled curls I love the 3 Day Bender 1″ Barrel Digital Curling Iron for it’s easy to use rotating barrel and fast heat up/cool down time.
3. Finger comb hair to break up curls.
4. Mist hair with salt spray. The Mai Tai Spritzer does a phenomenal job of creating added texture and volume…oh yah, and it smells incredible.
5. Pull back bang heavy side and pin. You can do this whichever way you like, but for this particular look I’ve gone for three X’s. If you want them even it’s easiest to pin each one side of each X first before crossing over with the other side.
6. Finish with a light-hold hairspray like the Money Maker Flexible Hold Hairspray to keep unwanted frizz at bay.
Optional: If you’d rather go for a smooth, less textured look you can skip the salt spray/hairspray and create a glossy finish with the Sparkling Soda Shine Mist.
Not into so many steps? This would be a perfect last minute style for back-to-school by skipping the curling iron – and don’t worry about getting the pins to sit evenly as this style looks great with random placing as well.
What do you think of this look, is it one you’d recreate at home? Stay tuned for my next hair tutorial where I’ll be talking about how to get the perfect bed-head in minutes. And for my fellow locals, incase you didn’t know, Drybar products are now available at Sephora locations across Canada!
-photos by milton photography–