Beauty

HOW TO APPLY A FLAWLESS RED LIP

Even though I love the appearance of a classic red lip, one thing has always bothered me, and that is the maintenance required to pull of said look. After all, there’s is little less appealing than worn down red lipstick. Follow my tips on how you can get a flawless (and lasting) red lip in just a few simple steps!

Flawless Red Lip - Life, Set Sail
Flawless Red Lip - Life, Set Sail
Flawless Red Lip - Life, Set Sail
Flawless Red Lip - Life, Set Sail
Flawless Red Lip - Life, Set Sail
Prime

This one little step will work wonders for applying not just a red lip, but any lipstick you want to last throughout the day! I love the Stila Water Plumping Primer because it helps tone down your natural pigment and it’s balm-like formula will keep your lips feeling hydrated.

Map It Out
Using your lip liner, map out the shape of your lips before completely filling them in. Making an “x” shape at the peak of your lips will result in a much more even look rather than free-handing application.

Fill It In
Continue to use your lip liner to fill in your lips. Using liner all over will help your finished look stay much longer than by only using liner on the edges of your lips. For a long lasting pout I like to use the Make Up For Ever Aqua Lip pencil in True Red.

Apply Colour
Now that you’re prepped and primed, you can use your favourite shade to finish your look! I’ve used the Make Up For Ever Rouge Artist Intense in the shade 8 (matte bright red) as the perfect pairing for my liner.

Blot
Using a tissue, blot your lip colour.

Reapply
As your last step, reapply your lip colour. The blot and reapply technique is one I use often when wanting my lipstick to go the distance, but you can also lightly dust translucent powder on your lips for a similar effect.

I love how a simple red lip can completely transform your look. My favourite way to wear it is with a pair of skinny jeans and a chunky knit or a little black dress. Thanks to my mama for finding me the adorable Libertine dress pictured above, I love the neckline! You can find similar styles here, here, and here.

Do you have any tips for a flawless red lip? Share them in the comments below!

-photos by milton photography

[thefeedproducts style=’four’]

• […] HOW TO APPLY A FLAWLESS RED LIP Read More BURGUNDY FROM HEAD TO TOE Read More HOLIDAY 2015 – LACE DRESSES Read More TIED WITH A BOW Read More […]

• Brooke Elise
    December 2, 2015 at 1:41 PM

You look gorgeous in these pictures, and you really know how to rock a red lip! That dress is amazing, as well!

brooke | brooke elise

December 2, 2015 at 10:51 PM

Awe, thank you Brooke! You’re so sweet to say so 🙂 xx

November 20, 2015 at 5:13 PM

You look so beautiful in these photos Brittany! I love how the red lip looks with your blue eyes, and yes, your Momma did a great job picking out this dress! I use the same technique for a red lip, but have never tried a primer before. Let’s add it to the list of things I will make you help me buy when I’ve pinched enough pennies ;).

November 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Thank you Anneke! And let’s not worry about shopping, I just may be able to hook you up lol 😉 xx

• Ruth Savage
    November 20, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Wow, the dress really pops in the pics, and was just begging for a red lip….you really knocked this one out of the park B….just lovely!
    Here’s my tip for a flawless red lip from way back (the 80’s lol) when I was an FIDM Fashion student and wearing vintage on a daily basis…I would line and fill in entirely with red liner then top with my fav red Lancome lipstick, lightly blot and then a light dusting of powder.
    This made an understated matte red lip that lasted most of the day.

November 20, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Mar! I love those old photos of you rockin’ the red lip, it totally suited you! Do you remember names of any favourite shades? What was the one you wore on your wedding day? xx

• Ruth Savage
        November 20, 2015 at 3:22 PM

Stiletto, I think….that was a long time ago!

• Angeline
    November 20, 2015 at 5:43 AM

That MUFE lipstick is really gorgeous! I’ve never tried a lip primer before but I’ll have to look into it now 🙂 You alwayslook stunning with whatever you wear xx

The Girl From the North

November 20, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Thank you Angie! Oh man, I love lip primers! I have pretty pigmented lips so it’s nice to have something that cancels that out as well as acts like a balm AND makes your colour last longer. What more could a girl want? xx

• Ellen
    November 20, 2015 at 4:52 AM

Absolutely recommend a lip primer! It definitely helps. Also that color is stunning!

prettyneutral.com

November 20, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Any favourites Ellen? xx

• Ellen
        November 20, 2015 at 3:28 PM

I really love the Urban Decay Ozone Primer Pencil. It’s really great! Totally prevents any feathering or uneven fading.

November 21, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Ohhh thanks for the suggestion! I use their eyeshadow primer religiously, so I’m sure I’d probably love the one for lips. xx

• Holly
    November 20, 2015 at 12:49 AM

Excellent advice. Couldn’t have said it better myself pumpkin.