Fashion

MORNING LIGHT

I love mornings. I love the peace before everyone starts their days and things get hectic, and I’m not just talking about crowds and traffic…I’m talking about the time before my brain starts running a mile a minute and I’m able to enjoy having all that space in there to just enjoy the calm.

Gentle Fawn - Life, Set Sail
Gentle Fawn - Life, Set Sail

I don’t know what it is, maybe it’s my naturally anxious nature, but I always seem to have a billion thoughts in my head. That’s why I love writing so much, because I can get out one particular thought clearly and (for a moment) forget the rest. By the end of the day, it all seems to pile up and when I do finally lay down to sleep I am overwhelmed by the amount of thoughts in my mind. Thoughts that matter, some that don’t, songs that get stuck in my head, the list goes on.

Gentle Fawn - Life, Set Sail
Gentle Fawn - Life, Set Sail

This is part of the reason I love working for myself so much. I already have my own stuff going on, things I have to do, personal life and so on…a regular 9-5 job on top of that might just be the thing that turns me into a full blown crazy person. I’ll never forget the years of working in the service industry, the endless nightmares of never ending lineups, customers that wont leave, or even just sleeping past my alarm. I am so glad those days are behind me, at least as long as I can make this last!

Gentle Fawn - Life, Set Sail
Gentle Fawn - Life, Set Sail
One thing I’m really loving in particular are quiet morning walks in our neighbourhood. Even if I can’t quite make it out of my robe, I’ll sit out on the patio and have my morning coffee while I watch others get ready for their day…how’s that for the freelance life, am I right?

Sometimes it’s just nice to take a moment to reflect and realize what’s really important in our lives. When I’m feeling overwhelmed, I try to remind myself of these things…because when it comes down to it, most of the stuff I’m stressing out about doesn’t really matter all that much.

top: c/o gentle fawn // shorts: free people // sandals: dolce vita // bracelet: c/o loren hope
-photos by justine milton

• Rachael Burgess
    July 13, 2016 at 10:27 AM

I am EXACTLY the same way… This is why I have insomnia, I can never get my thoughts to stop running a million miles a minute. And also why I always hate working 9-5. It is like a prison almost hahaha. Glad someone else can relate. The pictures are gorgeous.

xoxo,
    Rachael

• Caroline
    June 29, 2016 at 9:46 AM

Gorgeous pictures! The light is stunning and you look beautiful. 🙂
    It’s takes a lot to do, but taking a step back can be really beneficial.

Caroline.x

June 30, 2016 at 9:53 AM

Thank you Caroline! You’re so sweet, and so right 🙂 xx

June 27, 2016 at 11:53 AM

Love the light in these photos, very beautiful! I’m with you on the benefits of working for yourself. It’s so much more natural to work with the ebb and flow of energy and inspiration. Despite keeping pretty much the same hours I did at a desk job, those hours always feel like a choice, and that allows me to enjoy them that much more – happy to hear you’re doing the same!

June 27, 2016 at 12:41 PM

Thanks Anneke! Ahh yes, I love being able to go out with my creative friends, have inspiring chats and not be weighed down by the time restrictions of a day job. I’m not ready to give up this life anytime soon, prayers for more work I guess haha 😉 xx

June 27, 2016 at 1:47 PM

Prayers? I’m banking on hustle. Haha!

June 27, 2016 at 2:27 PM

Hahaha don’t even get me started…I’ve sent well over thirty e-mails this morning. Whew.

• Joëlle | La Petite Noob
    June 27, 2016 at 5:53 AM

From one naturally anxious person to the next, I think that you’re killing it! Love your honest blog posts and your beautiful outfits and photos!

Joëlle
    La Petite Noob

June 27, 2016 at 8:32 AM

Thank you Joëlle! You’re so sweet to say so, I appreciate it 🙂 xx

• Melanie
    June 27, 2016 at 12:58 AM

Love this!! I too as you know battle anxiety as well! I love how we totally understand each other 😉

June 27, 2016 at 8:24 AM

Ahhh I feel ya! So happy to have at least a few people in my life that truly understand the struggle. Love xx